Sunday 16 August 2015

The Carnelian Legacy by Cheryl Koevoet



*ARC received for an honest review, thank you! 

Marisa MacCallum always believed that the man of her dreams was out there somewhere. The problem is-he's in another dimension. After the death of her father, eighteen-year-old Marisa's life is on the verge of imploding. She seeks daily comfort on her daily ride through the woods of Golden Hill, but when a mysterious lightening storm strikes, she is hurled into the ancient, alternate dimension of Carnelia where she is discovered by the arrogant but attractive nobleman Ambassador Darian Fiore. Stranded in a world teeming with monsters, maniacs and medieval knights, Marisa is forced to join Darian on a dangerous mission to negotiate peace with his cousin and archenemy Savino De Rocha. Along the way she starts to see Darian's softer side and finds herself falling in love. But once she learns he is locked in an arranged marriage, her heart shatters. When Savino falls for her charms and demands her hand in exchange for peace, Marisa is faced with an impossible choice: marry the enemy of the man she loves or betray them both and become the catalyst for a bloody war. 

Lately I've been moving away from the High Fantasy genre. Too many strange names to remember, too many different rules of politics, marriage, magic and so on. So I was a little bit wary when starting to read, hoping that I wouldn't be turned off it near the start and have to drag myself to the end. But I was enchanted with this story from the first time Marisa set foot in this new mysterious and intriguing land filled with monsters and rather charmingly handsome knights. I'm such a sucker for fantasy books! Luckily for me, there weren't too many challenging things to remember, apart from the whole line of royal ascension...did she end up marrying her cousin? That's the only thing I'm a bit confused about. While I really ended up enjoying the new fantasy world, some of the characters just didn't do it for me, and the plot was a bit obvious, I guessed it pretty early on but continued reading it in the hopes that I would be wrong...but I wasn't, so the climax really wasn't really, well...climatic. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the story, but probably wouldn't continue the series.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment