Friday 5 December 2014

Trace of Magic by Diana Pharaoh Francis



Even the most powerful tracers can't track you if the magical trace you leave behind is too old. But I can track almost anything, even dead trace. That makes me a unicorn, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and the Loch Ness Monster all rolled into one. In a word, I'm unique. A very special snowflake. And if anyone finds out, I'll be dead, or a slave to one of the Tyet criminal factions. 

Riley Hollins has quietly traced kidnapped children and quietly tipped the cops to their whereabouts one too many times. Now she's on the radar of Detective Clay Price, a cop in the pocket of a powerful  magic Tyet faction. When he blackmails her into doing a dangerous trace for him, Riley will have to break every rule that keeps her safe. Or become a Tyet pawn in a deadly, magical war. 

Before reading this book, I had never read a novel of Francis', so I had no real idea of what to expect from the characters, the writing or the themes. But I have to say, I did really enjoy it. The characters were interesting, the world was intriguing and different to a lot of urban fantasy books, and the speed of the action kept me dedicated to reading right up until the end. But in saying all of this, there was a little bit of genericness about it, especially in the heroin, Riley. However, I'm a sucker for a good romance and magic series, so I'm not focusing too much on it because I enjoyed the entire thing anyways. The world building was one of my favourite aspects of the book, I really felt like I was being frozen by the vicious snow storms and the biting winds. Trace of Magic is a very enjoyable book, and a fantastic start to a hopefully just as awesome series. I will be looking out for the next in the series, so hopefully it comes out soon because I think this series has become one of my new addictions. 

Rating: 3.5/5 Titans

No comments:

Post a Comment