Monday 8 December 2014

Iced by Karen Marie Moning


The year is 1 AWC-After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It's a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I'm Dani O'Malley, the chaos filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there's no place I'd rather be. 

Dani 'Mega' O'Malley plays by her own set of rules-and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she's one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities. Dani's ex-best friend Mackayla Lane, want her dead, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What's more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux. When Dublin's most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the merci of Ryodan, the club's ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and excpetional skill to figure out what's freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks-and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance. Dodging bullets, fangs and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin-before everything and everyone gets iced. 

I admit that I had a little bit of doubt before I started this book, which is why it took me so long to start it. I just didn't really like the idea of one of my favourite series now being in the hands of a fourteen-year-old character, since this series has some seriously adult themes. But I should never have doubted Ms Moning, there is a very good reason as to why she is one of my top three favourite authors. The change of POV's actually did the series some good, I was getting to the point where I thought that Mac's story was drawing to a close, I was just wary of Dani being the one to take over. But Dani 'Mega' O'Malley is a superhero and a pretty spectacular one at that, and I think we needed more point of views other than Mac's for such a diverse world. Even though Dani is young in age, she is not young in mind, heart or soul, she's probably more mature than most twenty-one-year-olds. I was also worried that the adult themes of the series would either be tempered for Dani or just make me so uncomfortable that I wouldn't be able to read it. But it did neither, Moning made it work brilliantly and I was so relieved that I read the whole book in two days not like I have a butt-load of homework or anything. As always, the characters are awesome, the world-building makes me weep joyful bloody tears and the cliff-hanger makes me want to hurt someone. I really hope we get more Dani POV soon, because she has opened up a whole new world within the Fever universe. 

Rating: 5/5 Titans

"You'll never be 'just' anything. A Tsunami can't 'just' be a wave. I like that about you. Waves are banal. Tsunami's reshape the Earth. Under the right circumstances, entire civilisations."

Books in the Fever Series

Darkfever
Bloodfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever
Iced
Burned (coming soon)



No comments:

Post a Comment